Angels and Saints: A Biblical Guide to Friendship with God's Holy Ones
by: Scott Hahn
Angels and saints starts off with a nice story of a miracle that happened to his son in Assisi. He then goes on to explain the significance of the word Saint and why it's important to know in other languages and most of church history the word was not so distinct to one meaning but could be applied in other places as well. I really enjoyed this part! I think every catholic should learn more about different translations of words. To get a more full understanding it's important to recognize what it meant in the Latin or the Greek or the Hebrew.
He goes on to discuss the difference between the saints on earth and the saints in heaven and also points out many scriptural references such as a parable told by Jesus or passages in revelations. He discusses how saints intercede for us, their relics, and the early church. There is a section about angels and while I really enjoyed it I also wish it had been a little longer! But there's some great information about angels you may not know otherwise.
He rounds out the book by giving us several chapters devoted to particular saints starting with Moses. I really enjoyed his perspective on the lives of the saints mentioned. You never hear of Moses as a saint but he is and he discusses that. He didn't just give an outline of Saint Paul's life telling what happened to him but explained because of his Jewish background what he would have understood his letters to say. Many of the Saints he included had quotes or snippets from the saint's own works which is always really great to see and really make the saint more accessible I think.
All in all, I think this was another great book from Scott Hahn I would recommend! I really enjoy reading all of his books because he does give great research behind the meaning of words or the history behind something. I loved all his perspectives on the saints and learned a lot about some I knew only a little of!
I received this book for free from Edelweiss Digital Review Copies

No comments:
Post a Comment