Magnetic
By: Lynn Cowell
-------------------
First of all this book is definitely aimed at younger teen girl. With that in mind, there are quizzes and little doodles peppered throughout. What I really did enjoy about this book, is that it really focused on virtues and gave the scripture passages that go along with them.
The chapters look at love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and self-control. These are awesome virtues to be looking at and I loved being able to look up the many scripture passages throughout each chapter. If the main focus of this book was a book written for women on how to work on these virtues I think this would have been a great book! But, and perhaps because it's aimed at the younger audience which may be even more discouraging, is that there is a huge focus on "This is what a godly man would want in a girl". I understand the author is trying to reach teen girls but, I think there are a lot of instances where it is sending the message be virtuous and cultivate these virtues because than you too, can find a great guy like the girl whose story I've just told you. I really didn't like that aspect, despite that she mentions it's about shifting focus from a guy to God, I don't think it follows through.
It was a great look at these fruits of the spirit but I think they were put into the wrong context. I love the small parts discussing the virtue but didn't love the antidotes throughout. If you want to look more at these virtues I'm sure there is a better book to look at. For a teen girl, I don't think I would want to give her this book because I just didn't %100 like the messages throughout.
Blogging for Books provided this book to me for free in exchange for an honest review.
No comments:
Post a Comment