Pages

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Book Review: A Travel Guide to Heaven

A Travel Guide to Heaven
By Anthony DeStafano
via

I really loved this book. I couldn't stop reading it from beginning to end! If you're looking for a book heavy with theology about heaven, this isn't the book for you. What I do like about it though, is that I feel that he has done the theological research and he even discusses that he's done research but purposely wrote this in a way that is meant to be easy to read. I love that! I love that its light to read but you can feel safe in knowing that he's read the church doctors (and quotes some of them at times) and you can tell he has solid theological knowledge and quite a few times he takes the time to reassure the reader that he isn't just making happy stuff up. 

On that note, he really did make me think about Heaven a lot. While yes I always think it's someplace I want to go at the same time I kept thinking but not yet. Let me live a long long life before I go there because part of me is scared of it. Yet as a Christian we should never be scared to die and go to Heaven, because we'll be the first to admit that Heaven should be a paradise but how many of us actually truly believe that?

Anthony DeStefano has taken a viewpoint on Heaven that will truly make you readjust your views and get you thinking about it as you read. By the end of it, all I could think about was the immense love God has for us and how wonderful Heaven would have to be because he loves us so. Our goal in life is to get to Heaven, so why wouldn't Heaven be more wonderful than we could ever imagine?! 

Without going into detail, he discusses what we might see in Heaven- places, people, things. How we will physically be, what heaven could look like, and what knowing God may be like in Heaven. I definitely would recommend this book to anyone! My only only regret, is that though the author is Catholic he wrote this for a general Christian audience and I would have love to see some discussion of more specific Catholic theology and Heaven. I still loved the book and am planning to read his other books now!

Blogging for Books provided this book to me for free in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment