I actually really want to buy one of these eternity veils on Etsy, but they're too much for me to spend right now especially when I would probably wimp out and not wear it. So instead I decided to start with making some headbands. I'm sort of easing my self into it and at the same time I get to use up lots of fabric scraps! Plus the headbands scrunched up make great head bands for everyday!
There's lots of tutorials on these headbands online and they're very simple to figure out but here's quickly how I made them. I made two sizes, one height wise is small and the other height wise is bigger (or covers more hair if that makes more sense)
First you need to cut out the (2) pieces of fabric. My larger ones are about 8 inches and then I made some smaller ones that were about 5 or 6 inches tall. This really will depend on preference and what fits you best so I'd recommend making a test one to figure out if you want one that covers more hair or less.
To make the elastic band iron over a small edge on both sides. Then bring those two sides together and iron that. Top stitch that together and for looks I top stitched the other side but it's not necessary. You could also just sew the sides together and turn it out, any way you want to make this a tube. Then bring your 6 1/2 inch elastic through this (Once again the first time I think I did 5 inch elastic and it was too tight, you may have to experiment and find what works for you). I held the elastic on each side with a pin before the next step.
At this point with your main piece you can either 1. gather the two sides or 2. pleat the two sides. I did both on my headbands but mostly I pleated because I get lazy and it's one less step to use the machine. If you pleat it, pleat it to the size of the elastic band with just enough to come around and overlap the band (first picture below). You want to place the elastic against the GOOD side of the main piece and then overlap the sides and then sew straight across. This next part is hard to describe but it should make sense when you do it, just flip the main piece right side out from the stitching so that end piece (the middle picture) is hidden. And that's it! You can wear it expanded or scrunch it up so it's more of a headband for everyday!
I've already made a good supply of them! I made both the white and blue fabric in a large and smaller size since I liked the fabrics so much. I'm not sure why I used orange... that's not going to go well with much..
Side Note: I changed my blogname again (and for the last time!).... The last one was just too long and well now I have this one from a line from a random song from 1840.





No comments:
Post a Comment